Re: paint - advice?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:58:19 -0800 Kevin Collins <kevinc@flashcom.net>
writes:

>Any input/suggestions/warnings etc. most welcomed.  My goal is to have
>the cleanest 16V in California, in time for ND.  Interior will be
>next...

My best advice would be to find a shop that specializes in painting
custom street rods. These guys know what it takes to lay down a show
wining paint and LA is a mecca for this craft. I would suspect that you
can find 5 quality shops fairly easy but this is where I would go if I
had 5K to spend on the paint and body alone.

If you tell then that you plan on showing the car, most of the time they
will do a great job knowing that their name could come up when asked,
"Who painted your car". (Not the schmucks who painted my car. I couldn't
be so lucky.)

Id probably remove the body kit and have it prepped and painted
separately. When its all said and done it wont have that "painted over
look" to the body kit. More of a "fresh off the production line" look
which is a better look. Especially if you plan to show the car.

I wouldn't expect that your paint and body work would cost more than a
couple grand as your roc's paint and body is in pretty decent shape as it
sits. Shop around and if you can get referrals to shops, go that route.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and