Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

Your thermotime switch is on the coolant neck between cylinders no 3 and 4.
It has a brown connection and a brown connector. 2 prong.
Hope This Helps (HTH)

>Hi, I've got an 1986 8V, JH engine. I'm slowly tracking down a hot-start
>problem on my car. I'd like to test the thermo-time switch at some point,
>but this involves finding it. Bentley has a picture (fig. 5-3, section 5.1
>of chapter 6, page 6-12 in my book) which shows the location of the
>"thermoswitch" (which seems to be the same thing). I have the same plug as
>shown in the drawing, but it's not connected to anything (I've found one
>unconnected lead in the vicinity of it, but no second one yet -- not sure
>what the unconnected lead is for yet, though).
>
>Haynes (don't have it right in front of me) has the thermo-time switch in
>the same area, but on top of water pipe, with a different connector (in
>fact, Bentley shows a different version of the thermo-time switch in
>fig.5-6 on page 5-23). I have this as well, and it is connected.
>
>So now I'm confused. What is the unconnected sensor (which sits
>essentially on the opposite side of the water pipe from where the
>thermo-time switch is)? Should it be connected to anything? What behaviour
>would I expect if it isn't?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Oliver
>
>BTW -- what does HTH mean?
>
>Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software,
>http://www.pivotal.com
>     Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco