No heat

Just picked up a 87 16v scirocco that's been sitting since August.  Ran it
to my parents house last night. BRRRR!  The heater isn't really getting very
hot. I thought it might be a stuck thermostat, but the temp gauge doesn't
run hot.  Also I think the duck work to the feet is not working. I got some
heat at the defrost, but on the feet it felt like no air.

Any suggestions?

How hard is it to change thermostat? Is it on the bottom side? Do I have to
drain the Radiator to change it. Any other possibilities?

Thanks
David