cold weather-no start- help

Here in MD its pretty cold, below freezing right now.

Car (Scirocco 16v 1988, full tank of 93 octane gas)wasn't starting so
I took the battery to get charged.  Its got 770 Cold Cranking Amps
right now b/c I just picked it up from getting charged at Trak Auto.
I installed the battery, car still wouldn't start.  It turns over, but
won't start.  Seems like its turning over too slow.

I checked the resistance b/w the -ve battery post and the engine and
got 0.00.

Car has an additional ground going from -ve post to where the coil
bolts to the chassy.  Resistance from there measured 0.00.

Car also has ground runing from -ve post to alternator housing case.
I made sure all connections were tight, car still wouldn't start.

The thing is, the car WILL start when the weather is warm.

Any ideas?  I do still have the oil I had during the summer/fall
(20W50).  Could this be keeping the engine from turning over fast
enough????  Water in the fuel lines that has frozen???

Thanks

Victor