Re: Hill climbing Scirocco

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:26:43 EST DNK006@aol.com writes:
> >156hp 5 cyc Turbo with all wheel drive vs. 4 cyl front-drive
> >I know which one is going to get to the top of the moutain first!
>

>Not necessarily so. Naturally it all depends on how the cars are prepped.
>Bone stock, id think that the stock Scirocco 16V could take advantage of
>its light weight over the Audi's heavy weight. Its only 33hp difference
>between the 2 cars VS how much weight of the Audi? It would be
>interesting but I think the Scirocco could in fact win.

The Coupe GT is not turbocharged, as Night Shadow said.  They're reasonably
quick, but nothing shattering; I used to have a 4000q, which would be a
little slower than the CGT, as it is heavier and AWD.  A stock Scirocco is
faster than a stock CGT, except maybe on hills/mountains.  OTOH, a guy I've
heard of has one(CGT) built for ITB - that car is very fast, faster than the
IT VWs in a straight line - but it is heavier, uses same width wheels.

The turbo coupes - assuming the US - are fairly rare, have quattro, 160ish
horsepower, 181 foot pounds of torque, and the numbers are not indicative of
how fast the cars are.  When they're running right.  Turbo Audis are sorta
hard to keep running correctly; as they get older, the millions of vacuum
lines rot out, they're complicated cars,(make a 16v S look like an erector
set), but when a TQC is running well, a 16v might keep up until 30mph or so.
  Once the turbo wakes up, the cars are *fast*.  I have an 87 5000CS quattro
wagon - 5cyl turbo/quattro/3400# wagon.  At 9500' recently(Sunday), a BMW
540i pulled out of the slow lane to follow, gee, he got dropped.  Granted,
the altitude made it happen, but even so - my turbowagon with just a
wastegate spring(makes 1.5 bar boost) will destroy any stockish Scirocco
above 35-40.  As long as the road is straight.

>True, however you fail to consider the most important factor after you
>compare power. WEIGHT. This is, after all, how we can compete in a street
>fight with the V-8's.

Right.  Be warned about the turboaudis, though, they're WAY faster than they
look. I've driven a total of two turbo quattro coupes - they seemed OK, ehh,
one was BAD, the other was reasonable, seemed about right for a 2800#, 160hp
car.  Then I got my wagon & found out how fast a 3400#, 160hp car should be.
  They're fast.  Not many 5000 turbo owners drive fast, and there are
relatively few turbo quattro coupes out there.

JohnC