Re: [Mk1] Non-start when warm?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 06:11:20 -0800 (PST) Mark Peele <type53@yahoo.com>
writes:
> --- Pete Jacobsen <fluidweb@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > After I drive my ride around for a bit and then shut
> > it off, the moody bitch  refuses to restart. The stereo and lights
work fine,
> > but there's no cranking  or even a solenoid click to be heard. After
> > listening to a few tracks, making a couple cell calls, and having a
smoke, I
> > can restart with no problem (approx 12 mins). I figure it's some sort
of
> > check valve or something? I just had the starter replaced, as well
> > as a new coil, battery and distributor. Time for electronic ignition
> > guess?
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated (plus it could save
> > me $$$)
> >
> > Pete
> > 1980 Silverocco w/ 91 1.8L and 5-speed
>
> One possibility is that the fuel pressure accumulator
> is bad (I'm not sure if this is the correct term - it
> is located on the rear of the car near behind the fuel
> pump).
>
> This is known to cause the "hot start" problems.

Yes, but the starter will still work...It just won't start for a while.

Did you have this problem with the old starter?

Just because the starter is new, doesn't mean that it is good.

Check your ground and power cables and the cable that runs from the
ignition switch. The next time it does it, put a test light on the wire
that energizes the solenoid. If the battery cables are good and you have
power at the solenoid when you turn the key, it is a bad starter.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>