Bilsteins, etc.

I'm on digest, so if this has been covered...

I had Bilstein HDs on 78 with mild springs and Sports on 87 16V and 84
GTi.  Sports have a three position "Circlip" height adjust in rear,
FWIW.  I think Bilstein has modified valving over the years, but when I
compared my 16V with my 78, I notice the ~400 lb. weight increase and ~10"
longer length.  I also planned to autox in DS, so I went with the
sports.  Great handling esp. at higher speeds on smooth surfaces.
So...think about what you want to do with the car.  Stiffer springs need
stiffer shocks.  What are the conditions for the roads you'll be seeing,
what loads will you carry, etc?  I'd call Bilstein and talk to tech guy.
Let them know how much shorter your springs are.  Bilsteins have internal
snubber, at least in front, but you don't want to go there.

My $0.02 on SUVs and gas prices:

The way gas gets to $4/gal is taxes.  MIght be in our future if we ever
try to pay down natl debt and have downturn in US economy.  Not likely to
happen soon as too much vested in road building, suburban sprawl, etc.
MOF realize that gasahol, which in MHO is not good for your auto (Have to
replace fuel line from pump to front, internal corrosion) is supported by
tax break/mandates.  Al Gore is definitly for (comes from Iowa), but ADM
gives $ to lotsa pols so will not go away soon.  Oh yeah, automakers make
BIG margins on SUVs.  Gals and some guys like 'em cause they (might) feel
safer.  Its an active vs. passive saftey thing.  Sciroccos have lots more
active safety built in.

--
Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...