Re: do-it-yourself options

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 DNK006@aol.com wrote:

> My neighbor wants to sue me for working on my car so much!!!  It seems that
> the easment that I park on is for "PARKING" only - I guess a car isn't parked
> if your working on it.

The attitude seems to be that cars just run without maintenance, and that
people who work on them are somehow deviant (or at least should be doing
it "somewhere else" or they should be getting it done "by professionals").
Personally I think more people should be doing basic maintenance stuff on
their car (especially if it's not under warrantee anymore), since
by not doing so, the result is more pollution and higher fuel consumption.
Oh well... guerilla car maintenance it is for me then.

> I have done everything from valve adjustments,
> rewiring, clutch, CV shafts,  struts, waterpumps and more on a mud-dirt-stone
> driveway.  I jack up my car onto firewood.  My opinion is this:  there isn't
> a single thing that you can't do on a VW, ANYWHERE!!!  So pull into some dark
> alley, pop the hood and flush your coolant. this is a free country right, so
> exercise your right to travel and work on your car.  I find that parts stores
> with ample parking don't mind, sometimes...

I'm getting really familiar with parking lot repairs. I'd like to
find a place where I have access to a source of electricity and, even
better, water. The place I keep my car now has electricity, but the
climate there makes me hesitant to pull out the long extension cords, etc.
Parking in front of my apartment is metered, but there is a hose faucet
right there. I'll need to look around for more options...

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html