Re: Rear Brakes Binding...

A few years ago me and some buddies went up to the mountain in my friends GTI
(4-weel disc) and he set the e-brake, after the days boarding we came back to
the car and realized the mistake, the brake line had completely froze and
halted the rear driver weel. it took all night and the next day of banging on,
trying to dissasemble, force rotating, blow torching, and plain beating the
holy crap out of the damn thing, until we finally got a tow down the mountain
and only there where it was above freezing did we get it free. I guess the
moral of the story is that this might be happening to you, in a less intense
way ofcourse, but maybe the cold is making your e-brake line bind up just from
some moisture in the line getting slightly frozen, and letting go once it is
defrosted, I think that would explain the freeplay in your e-brake handle, and
it letting go after you drive it for a while.

HTH,
Nathan