Re: Mystery part identification

This would be the mileage counter box for your OXS light in the instrument
cluster. The brownish cables going into this box are your speedometer
cables. One end goes to the trans. and one end goes to the speedometer. The
hole that you infer to be plugs are actually button holes. The one that says
OXS by it is for resetting the light on the dash. The other one is not used
unless you have an EGR light also on your dash.

HTH

>From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@acm.org>
>Subject: Mystery part identification
>Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:25:44 -0800 (PST)
>
>Hi all,
>
>While poking around my engine tonight, I found a little box sitting behind
>the coolant expansion tank, not mounted to the chassis. Two cables connect
>to the front (round connectors), and I have two more plugs without cables,
>each paired with one with a cable. The only writing I can see is over
>one of the unconnected plugs: OXS. I assume this has something to do with
>the fuel system and emissions control, but I can't figure out what it is.
>Anybody know?
>
>This is on an '86 MkII 8V.
>
>Thanks,
>Oliver
>
>Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software,
>http://www.pivotal.com
>     Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco