Re: There's a hole in my transmission!

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:18:18 -0800 (PST) Oliver Seiler <oseiler@acm.org>
writes:
> Geez -- I'm just coming up with one new problem after another. Well,
> it's not so much a hole as a missing "something". I was doing some
> cleaning and poking around my engine, when I noticed that I could look
into my
> transmission through a threaded hole, maybe an inch or so in
> diameter, in the top of the transmission housing, I *think* in the area
of the
> flywheel. I think to myself "this can't be right -- is that rust in
> there?". Not good.
>
> It's hard to tell from Bentley's, but the best I could find was
> figure 6.15 on page 8-20. Though the picture isn't for my model (I have
an
> '86 MkII manual, stock *as far as I know*) the round plug on the far
> left of the picture appears to be what's missing. Whatever it is, it's
> towards the passenger side from the clutch cable, around the middle of
the
> housing.
>
> Anybody know what should be here?
>
> -Oliver

Yes, there is a timing hole plug that threads into that hole.
It is probably $5 or less at the dealer, you might want to get the tool
that Schley makes for it.

The rust that you see, is the flywheel.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>