Re: Prepping an 8v for AutoX

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000  8:42 -0500 "Ian Pitts" <Ian_Pitts@g1.com> writes:
>Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, my stepfather JUST purchased the
>struts/springs off of Ebay... so maybe I'll have to foot the bill for
>the Bilstein/NS setup. Bummer.

don't sweat it. They will work fine but eventually you will want to
upgrade to something that will help make the car handle better.

>We're already planning on getting good road-race/AutoX tires in addition
to all
>the engine mods. Essentially, we want to do EVERYTHING we can to the
>car and still be DSP legal.

I think you mean FSP. :)
Road racing and autoxing are 2 different worlds and require 2 different
setups. Since IT cars are legal in FSP you might want to consider
building a dedicated IT car. It can be rather competitive car in FSP. (I
finished 2nd in (THEN) DSP driving an ITC Scirocco at my last autox of
the year.) It can also be daily driven as well, there's just alot that
goes into building an IT car.

>Maybe just swapping a GTi big-valve head without port/polishing would
>let us be legal.. who knows.. I need to read the book again.. my
stepfather has
>it right now.

The JH motor had a big valve head so its a top choice swap.
Read-read-read. If you have the rule book, its all right there. Its just
a matter of defining the meaning sometimes. If you have any questions,
ask away.
Also, I have links to a few good autox sites on my FSP page:

http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/fsp.htm
HTH!!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and