Re: AutoX questions ...

>I raced those legends cars a couple of times (rented one after I took
the
>class) and it was a ton of fun.  They cost about US$ 10,000 each
though...
>and I think it was about $150 or $200 to rent for each race.

Those things are amazing! 120hp and 1000lbs! I wish I could afford to get
into those things.

>Question for all you AutoXers.
>Could you recommend a webpage with AutoX info?

http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/fsp.htm
there's a few links on that page that should get you going.

>Is it an all out race or spot time competition?

Its a driving skills exhibition. Its not a race. :)
Ever been to Malibu Grand Prix?? BAsically its one car out at a time
however you can have up to 5 cars on course at once. (Depending on where
you race and the size of the lot ect.) You start a run, trip the starting
clocks, go thru the course and cross a finish line where you trip the
clocks again and that's your time. You typically only get 3 runs (more
depending on the where and what's.) per event but then there's fun runs.
($1 per lap after the event is over.)
Then you compare your times to other cars in your class. Fastest time
wins. Simple!

>What kind of speeds are we talking about and where do these competitions

>take place?

75-80mph is about tops for most places. Its not a sustained top speed
either, you might peek at 75 and then your braking hard for another turn.
Speed is also hightened by the fact your turning and navigating the
course so even tho your only your going say, 35mph thru most of the
course, your hauling ass! Definitely get's the adrenalin flowing.

>How important is the suspension setup?  I got the budget Bilstein
set-up,
>lowered 40mm and I'm wondering if it'll do...

suspension is 80% of the car ability to compete. If you cant turn, and
turn fast, then there's no way to BE fast.

>The more I think of it, the more fun it sounds...

Its the most affordable form of motorsports there is. Besides that, where
else can you drive your toy -everyday-, take it to a big ass parking lot,
change tires, crank up the shocks and totally play with it some more?! I
ask.......

There should be a Surgeon General's warning as you pull the car up to the
starting line.

**WARNING, RACING YOUR OWN CAR IS COMPLETELY ADDICTIVE**
**YOU WILL SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD**
*****************ITS 100% WORTH EVERY

LOL!!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and