Re: odd little oil leak(longish)

Hello again peeps,

Well the roc with the tt exhaust seemed to be getting a little louder these past few days and I figured it was an exhaust leak.
Definitely was.....360 degree break in the resonator pipe right behind the racing downpipe.  off to the kitchen.  Cut up a nice sized stainless steel cookie sheet and bought two more clamps.   viola!!! no more niose or clunking between the seats.  A suggestion to all you illegal downpipe people would be to opt for the heavy duty rear trans mount. I feel that this will remedy my problem when I can get down to the speed shop.
Anyway .......the point of this thread is that I was underneath the car and I realized that there is a leak.  I tightened up all of the nuts for the pan gasket and cleaned everything up. Took it out for a drive and found that the leak is coming from the unit above where the oil filter screws in.  It's coming out from one of the actual terminals where you plug in the wire.  I pulled the wires and applied some high temp exhaust sealing compound.  This seemed to stop the leak.
What I'd like to know is what this thing is, why would it leak?, Is my rigjob gonna be a permanent solution, and the obvious How can a wire terminal leak oil?
If anybody has any experience with this by all means please enlighten me
TIA
Rob
87 16v