[mkII] reinstalling A/C

A previous owner decided to lobotomize the air-conditioning of my car.
Though I haven't quite figured out all the damage, the obvious stuff is
that the compressor is missing and that the two metal tubes which I think
ran to it (Bentley's is no help on this) from the area of the heater box
(at least they come through the fire-wall around there) have been cut off
(literally) around the passenger-side strut tower. There also seems to
have been a hole cut into the area of the heater core around where the
pedals are, that has been resealed. Perhaps someone didn't want their
air-conditioning anymore, or didn't want to upgrade to a non-freon system.
Who knows...

The question is, what would be involved in getting it all working again?
Obviously I need to know the full extent of the lobotomy, but it'd be
kinda nice to have A/C in the summer, despite the few horses I'd lose. A
new compressor for sure. I'd also need to reconnect those hacked off metal
tubes somehow. Is there a good manual on these systems somewhere? Is it
worth the trouble? I guess this can't be considered critical, but I really
like it when everything is working, and since I have the A/C controls
inside the car, I'd like it if they actually worked!

Thanks again,
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html