Re: Sun Roof Repair

welcome to the list, it is a great resource as you say.

my sunroof has this problem as well, and its a pain.  I have already had
it completely apart and it is partially fixed but doesnt really lower
completely so it can slide back.  It is fairly complicated to take apart
your first time but with the manual and some practice the sunroof isnt
actually too complicated.
the first thing to try is to lubricate the tracks and cables inside the
roof.  This may help, or it may be more serious.  YOu probably should take
it apart carefully and see if any parts are broken or badly worn.  I know
mine has some worn brackets that are on the end of the drip tray so this
doesnt let mine slip down into the slots easily.  The tracks can cause
problems also. If it just clicks alot when you try to crank it back, your
cables could be worn out.  I think its a real bitch to replace these.
but start with getting everything all lubed up(hehe) and go from there.
-it also helps to go to the junkyard and take apart a roof in good
condition.  That way you can pull all the little parts you could
possibly need or might lose during the process(those little circlips seem
to lose themselves for you)  and for about 20 bucks you have all you need
plus practice taking apart a roof that you dont care about screwing up.
have fun!
hth

Eric Person
86.5 16v