I need exhaust suggestions and I am bitching about my car

Hey all,

    I have some sort of aftermarket exhaust set-up on my 88 16v Scirocco
(purchased by the previous owner).  The pipe running back from the cat looks
to be maybe 2.25 or 2.5 in diameter, and runs into a Super Turbo muffler, out
of which comes a 3.5inch circular chrome tip.  Well, the other day, while
driving my car I noticed that the exhaust suddenly sounded noticably noisier.
 When I pulled into a parking lot to check it out, sure enough my exhaust tip
was pointed downward.  The tailpipe had broke right at the backend of the
muffler but was not completely detached...  SHIT!!  That sort of screwed up
my plans for a nice complete performance exhaust system by springtime as
Christmas has left me broke as broke can be.  I figure a direct replacement
muffler is about $100 uninstalled, whereas for a little over twice that much
I can get a TT set-up, am I right?  One thing nice about Techtonics is that I
am within 45 miles or so of them.
    Anyway, my car is annoying as hell to drive around right now with that
tailpipe almost dragging on the ground.  It is wet as hell outside and I have
no garage in which to alter things...  Shit, I feel like my car is falling
the hell apart!!!  I bought it this last summer and had it checked out and
all, and up until just very recently, it has given me no problems.  Just a
couple of weeks ago the hatch decided it did not want to latch anymore, then
my driver's side kick panel decides it wants to break like nothing (have to
get those little white brackets), and also the dashboard has started to
rattle increasingly by every passing day...  like it is crying for a new
motor mount...
It has just over 103k on the clock, and when I bought it (94k at the time),
it gave no indication to me or the tech who checked it out that it had any
hidden problems.  I am beginning to have my doubts.  Oh well, I guess when I
begin to recover financially from the holidays, I will just have to dump a
bunch of $$ into the car and maybe get it the hell out of my life....

    Any exhaust or otherwise advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben
Falling apart 88 16v Scirocco in Portland