[mk1] problems lowering car...

Help...

trying to get my mk1 lower, proving to be difficult, I
currently have the yellow koni ajustables up front with
who knows what springs i bought them with the struts used
like 5 years ago. struts are fine. im running 17"x7.5 rims
and have about 2 fingers gap, no rubbing. I would like about
1 finger or less then i plan to flare the fender lip out.
i just cut 1 dead coil of the bottom of my spring..well it
wasnt very dead and im afraid now surely those springs will
goto shit in a few months. they just barely sit inbetween
the perches now when unsprung. anyways even after doing that
im still at 2 fingers, so how the heck do i drop the car down?
am i stuck with taking the car to a shop and having them raise
the strut tower mount on the body? I just installed new upper
(bushings/bearings) also, are there sport or lowering ones
that will help my dilema? I dont want to spend the $$ for
coilovers untill way after my G60 is done, and the passat has
a chip and so on and so on.

any suggestions?

thanks
Ryan