Re: dyno & Dyno day?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 08:27:38 -0500 jonas miller <sjmill@erols.com>
writes:
>what exact syno were you on and what were the conditions...

Dynojet model 248C.
Temp: 82.6F
Atmospheric: 29.66in.Hg.
22% drivetrain loss.
The dyno is an above ground unit and the temp sensor was located inside
the bottom of the dynojet. Temp figures up on the hoist was well into the
high 90F range.

>a littel info about dyno...
>that was my actuall wheel power includes loss for teh wheels to rollers
>.... that is the right numbers for a stock 16v.....

We dyno'd the Pottermans stock 16V (at the same time) with only a K&N
filter. (We were testing the "Nology" system.) We got a best run of
112.7hp and 111.9tq. at the wheels on his 16V. I recall that the 16V
stock motor figures were 134hp? His was run at @137hp and 136 Tq. at the
crank. Maybe al ittle better than the stock figures.

>and mine is from 86 so it may be a bit tired so that can acount for the
>loss of 5-10hp,

Thats what im saying, it sounds like your 16V is kind of tired. I think
its down a little more than 5-10hp from where it should be.

>as for your 8v running it
>as for a dyno jet dynamoter, they can be very esaliy affected ...for one
>thing the weather parameters are determined by a sensor that hangs
>soemwhere near the computer so someone could therotical blow on it and
>you would get a gain of hp because of thier breath temp, also, some
>illunimations (flourencint lights to name one) can interfere with the
results,
>this is to be informative not a smart ass remark....

I understand what your saying. The day we did our dyno runs it was HOTTER
than hell. (Especially up on the lift doing theruns.) Changing the
ingition wires between run wasnt fun either. Especially on the 16v! I
mentioned earlier that the temp probe on this partictular dynojet is
located in a little closet where the computer is located. It registered
82.6F for all of my runs and 84-85F for Mikes runs. Again, it was MUCH
hotter where the cars were. My car wasnt in its best shape for a total
performance dyno run either. It had a few glitches (That im only just now
fixing. DOH!) that im sure hurt performance.

Ill also correct myself and restate my dyno numbers. My best run (On
stock wires BTW) was 96.4hp and 98.9 tq. This is road wheel numbers FYI.

Dyno Day?
Since ive got my FSP motor built and somewhat broken in, I plan on doing
another dyno session pretty soon. Anybody interested in doing a dyno day
in So-cal? Ive called around locally and the worst deal I found was $75
per run! He's nuts. So I will be shopping around a little more for a
decent place to dyno and maybe do some tunning on a dyno. Especially
after I get this motor installed in the MK-I and carbs bolted up to the
head, I would like to redo the dyno work so it would be nice to already
have a good place to go.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and