RE: [Brakes] Dumpster Diving at the local Yard

>From what I recall from having stock rear drums and converting to Dasher
wagon rear drums and then to rear disc; the Dasher drums braked the best
without losing any pedal travel and I have heard from others who have done
the stock rear drum-to-disc conversion have had no improvement in braking
power. So, if you want better braking without spending alot of $$ on a
bigger master cylinder to keep the same pedal travel; my advice would be
dasher (also Rabbit PU, VW and Audi Fox) rear drums. They use the same wheel
cylinders as stock scirocco. HTH

>From: "Neal Tovsen" <sixteen.volt@gte.net>
>To: "T Berk" <tberk@mindspring.com>, "scirocco-l" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: RE: [Brakes] Dumpster Diving at the local Yard
>Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 01:17:13 -0600
>
>Your fronts are (IIRC) 9.4", while the 16v fronts are 10.1". Remember that
>13" wheels won't cover the 10.1" brakes if you go that route. I think
>you'll
>also need many more parts from the rear beam besides the calipers. I'm not
>exactly sure what, but I seem to remember someone saying that you even need
>the stub axles and everything bolted to it. Most people recommend that you
>just transplant the whole rear beam.
>
>IMHO, if you get them cheap, I think that rear disks are great even if it's
>just for the maintenance. Except for the fact that VW rear calipers are
>prone to siezing, of course, pads and rotors are generally so much easier
>work on than drums and shoes. OTOH, Scirocco rear drums are pretty easy, as
>drums go...
>
>Neal

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco