RE: [Brakes] Dumpster Diving at the local Yard

Your fronts are (IIRC) 9.4", while the 16v fronts are 10.1". Remember that
13" wheels won't cover the 10.1" brakes if you go that route. I think you'll
also need many more parts from the rear beam besides the calipers. I'm not
exactly sure what, but I seem to remember someone saying that you even need
the stub axles and everything bolted to it. Most people recommend that you
just transplant the whole rear beam.

IMHO, if you get them cheap, I think that rear disks are great even if it's
just for the maintenance. Except for the fact that VW rear calipers are
prone to siezing, of course, pads and rotors are generally so much easier to
work on than drums and shoes. OTOH, Scirocco rear drums are pretty easy, as
drums go...

Neal