No power below 3500 RPM

My brother in law has a 16V GLI (I helped him find and buy it) and it has
been having a power problem lately.  It doesn't want to pull away from a
stop without really slipping the clutch. Even then once the car starts to
move it feels like it has no torque.  I don't live too close to him, so I am
trying to do a long distance diagnosis.  I'm thinking it could be the timing
or possibly the O2 sensor?   I'm no pro though, so I thought I would ask for
some suggestions from the list.

TIA, You can reply directly to me so we don't clutter up the list with
discussions about Jetta's.

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI