Re: Now for the brakes

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:26:39 -0800  Christopher Mueller
<cmueller@sciarc.edu> writes:

>Brakes:
>I'm thinking I don't need to go crazy on the rear rotors, but for the
fronts
>I want to step up a notch or two in stopping power. (Think Los Angeles
>drivers)

I fully understand!

>Stillen, Powerstop, ATE Powerdisc, what?
>Or should I go with the brake supplier down the street that does their
>own cross-drilling on regular Brembo rotors?
>Slotted vs. cross-drilled, anyone?

For street use, id NEVER use cross drilled rotors. They crack all to
shit, not worth the expense. Slotted rotors do work great and last as
long as stock rotors, if not longer. I have a set of the Atomic groove
ATE rotors on my GLi and I really like them. For as heavy  a car the GLi
is (Maybe 2800 lbs?) they sure do work good. I will buy another set when
these die. Especially since they only cost a little more than the stock
rotors.

>And pads... fiber or semi-metallic?   I a year and a half ago someone
>was championing Ferodo Pads, but what do people think?

I still do say that the Ferodo's are the best street/autox pad. Great
cold, great hot. They only have a little more brake dust than stock pads
but hey, if you really love your car(s) you arent waiting for brake dust
to build up on the wheels before you wash the car again. Are ya?

Don't forget to use a good brake fluid. I use Castrol GTLMA fluid. Ive
used it for the last 5 or so years and its good stuff. Works for me. Ive
never had a single experience of brake fade on my GLi or my Scirocco.
(Ive autoxed both cars as well as did some canyon banzai runs.)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and