Re: engine oil leak advice

Gee whiz input concerning engine oil leaks:

I had a problem once with external engine oil leak....particularly after I
switched to synthetic oil.  I recall from the VW NG this was something of a norm
but as for why it occured, no one really knew.  In any case, a few months later
as I was tooling down the road from Las Cruces, NM doing about 95 (no cops back
there), my car hiccupped BADLY and then went on its merry way, albeit much
slower and choppier.  When I got home, I popped the hood and there was a slight
ooze coming from the valve cover.  I yanked one of my spark plug only to find it
heavily soiled with oil.  After I stopped swearing (I had just brought my car
back from the VW dealer in Cruces who SWORE nothing was wrong with my car even
though I TOLD him it kept stalling and running like it was only on three
cylinders and sounding like an old VW Beetle), I called my local mechanic who
came, towed my car to his shop, and replaced the broken valve cover gasket,
cleaned out my PCV (God it was oily!), and completely cleaned the throttle body
area, intake boot, and changed my oil soaked air filter.  The good thing(s)--at
least my car didn't die on the highway in the middle of nowhere (testament to a
VW) and Mark (mechanic) only charged me a 24-pack case of Bud Light (*yech!*)
and $50; the bad thing--that *&^$%# VW dealer mechanic had the balls to send me
notice saying I was due for a 15-point inspection or some such.  It was good
burning in the fireplace.  I still get pissed thinking about it.

Steph