Re: upper strut bushings

Hi Brett,

RE:
>If you shorten the stock spacers and bolt everything back together
>tightly, the bearings will be locked.  Makes turning the car quite
>difficult. :)  I wouldn't suggest it.

Thanks for the response.
With the Poly's installed snug I didn't notice it being
any harder to steer. I installed them without any modification.
These were the Autotech versions no longer available.
Am I correct in assuming that the struts ( Bilstein HD) are
turning in their housing with the bearings locked? Is this bad?
Sounds like you have tried shortening the stock spacers.
What struts were you using that caused the stiffer steering?
Would that make a difference? The axial play in the OEM
bearings seem like they would add vibration to the front
suspension over rough roads. The poly units get rid of this
but are also a little too rock hard for street use.

Thanks,
Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
(under the knife OSP car)
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc
(my new CSP car until the other is done)