Electrical gremlins, continued...

I asked about this a few months ago, but let's recap:

My Scirocco has been bucking for quite a while, around 2500 - 3500 rpm.
My fuel-air gauge showed that the mixture would cycle between normal and
lean at about 1.5 cycles per second.  I have made it my mission to solve
this problem.  I replaced all of the vacuum lines, O2 sensor, injector
seals and the control pressure regulator (which was bad).  That didn't
solve the problem, but I found that if I turned the headlights on the car
would run properly.  But once the lights were turned off it would run
like crap again.  No one I have spoken to could figure it out .
Everytime I did some kind of electrical work, the car would buck again.
The solution to the problem would be (I'm not making this up!) to crank
up the idle and the %CO (to minimize the bucking), drive about 30 miles
for the car to "reset" itself, and then bring the idle and %CO back to
normal.  It makes no sense, but it works.  I have given up trying to
solve the problem (I found it simpler to just turn on the damn lights!).

Two weeks ago I replaced some of the ground cables and the positive
battery terminal clamp, along with cleaning the battery ground.  The
problem returned, and this time it wouldn't go away.  I went to test the
control pressure regulator again, and it was working.  I forgot to plug
the regulator back in.  Now the car is running beautifully.  It starts
out a bit rough and runs pretty rich during warm-up, but after about 15
minutes it's running slightly rich.

Any ideas?  I"m totally stumped by my 2,100 lb brain-teaser.  My attitude
right now is to simply leave the regulator unplugged until the car has to
go into the shop for something I can't fix.  I think the only thing to do
now is sit back and have a Corona...

B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta