Non-Roc: Jetta Trans Question

Okay, so I sold my '84 Jetta GLi to my friend, who gets it transferred from PA
to NJ and all that stuff, drives it for 3 days and it dies. Can anyone help me
with what could be wrong with it?

He says that he was driving down the street and all of a sudden the clutch pedal
went to the floor, so he pulled over (it was in neutral at the time) to the
side, got a ride home and called me. Immediately I conclude that his clutch
cable broke and told him that I would help him put in the brand new spare clutch
cable that I gave him with the car.

Got to the car, and the clutch cable was not broken, and the little firewall
hole thingy was not broken either. The clutch did have a LOT of play in it, much
more then it did 2 days and 100 miles previous when I drove it, but it was not
all the way to the floor. We adjusted the clutch cable to the proper amount of
play, but were unable to get it into gear. With the engine off it seems like I
can get it into every gear. With the engine on I can not get it into any gear,
just can't get it into 1-5 and reverse grinds like hell.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Marc