Re: [A2] brake problem

>From my experience I have found 2 things that normally cause this. One is
air in the brake lines (i.e. loose brake lines also) the other is a sticking
caliper. Try jacking the car up and spin the problem wheel. If it spins jsut
as freely as the one on the other side it could jsut be air. Bleed them
anyway just to be safe. HTH

>On sunday, while driving my Jetta, I noticed that smoke started to come
>from the driver's front brake while I was sitting at a light.  I was
>almost where I was going, so when I got there I felt my hubcap and it was
>pretty damn hot.  I figured that the caliper might have been sticking a
>bit.  After driving home, the brake was normal.  The car never pulled to
>the left, so I carried on while keeping an eye on it.  I drove it today
>with no problems.  My roommate just finished driving it and the rotor was
>glowing red!!!  He said it drove fine and didn't realize there was a
>problem until he saw the smoke!
>
>Any ideas?  Does this sound like a pad that is just getting stuck, a bad
>caliper or a bad master cylinder?  the rotor looks pretty glazed, so I
>guess I"m going to have to replace those, too.  (I hate like hell doing
>this, since I plan on selling the car in a few weeks...)
>
>BTW, before anyone gets concerned about 'roc content, these brakes are
>identical to the ones I have on the Scirocco.  Literally...  They were
>*on* the Scirocco until November...
>
>Thanks,
>B.
>
>'82 Scirocco (a.k.a "Fritz")
>'85 Jetta
>'87 Porsche 944

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'80 Rocco (new!)
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco