[A2] brake problem

On sunday, while driving my Jetta, I noticed that smoke started to come
from the driver's front brake while I was sitting at a light.  I was
almost where I was going, so when I got there I felt my hubcap and it was
pretty damn hot.  I figured that the caliper might have been sticking a
bit.  After driving home, the brake was normal.  The car never pulled to
the left, so I carried on while keeping an eye on it.  I drove it today
with no problems.  My roommate just finished driving it and the rotor was
glowing red!!!  He said it drove fine and didn't realize there was a
problem until he saw the smoke!

Any ideas?  Does this sound like a pad that is just getting stuck, a bad
caliper or a bad master cylinder?  the rotor looks pretty glazed, so I
guess I"m going to have to replace those, too.  (I hate like hell doing
this, since I plan on selling the car in a few weeks...)

BTW, before anyone gets concerned about 'roc content, these brakes are
identical to the ones I have on the Scirocco.  Literally...  They were
*on* the Scirocco until November...

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a "Fritz")