Re: wheel locks

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:56:11 -0800 (PST) Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
writes:

> Speaking of wheel locks, I have a problem.  I picked up a
> rather sick '85 'rocco over Christmas and it's got wheel
> locks on it.  However, after cleaning out the car (a job in
> itself) I did not find a key for the locks.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> =====
> Daun Yeagley
> '80 Scirocco S
> '81 Pickup (To part or not to part...)
> '85 Scirocco 8v (2)
> '88 Scirocco 16v
> There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  -
> Dave Barry

They can be a pain even when you have the key...

SnapOn sells a kit that comes with different sized sleeves, that you
hammer over the lock and then you spin them off with an impact gun.

Twice now I've had stuck locks and each time it was in the rear. The keys
tend to get chewed up over time and it is difficult for the key to get a
good grip on it.
For the rear, I remove the cotter pin and axle nut through the wheel's
center hole.
I then pull the wheel off with the drum attached, btw this also helps
with a stubborn drum... With the wheel face down and the drum side facing
up, I then carefully drill the lock out, on my RIP '81 the lock actually
started turning, as I started the final drill size.

If the front wheel bearings are shot, or you want to sacrifice them, the
same thing will work on the front wheels. It does seem kind of drastic,
but it would work and with the Schley bearing tool, it wouldn't take long
to press in 2 new bearings. 8^)

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>