8V turbos and related newbie questions

All this talk of the Garrett turbo has me thinking about turbos.  When I got
my 'rocco, I passed on a turbo mk1 for $1500 (my car was $200, and at the
time it seemed like a better deal).  I didn't go to look at it, but my parts
guy told me the guy just wasn't ever able to get it to run quite right.

What's involved in putting a turbo on an 8V?  Do I have to go with a
crossflow conversion, or can I keep the engine basically stock?  Assuming
that I can keep my head, where does the turbo fit?  It seems you could fit a
small one in right behind the engine, but it seems the plumbing would be a
pain.  What intake could I use?  How is the plumbing done with regard to the
fuel distributor?

I've heard talk of crossflow conversions on the list.  It's still an 8V
head, right?  What's to be gained?  What is involved?  Does it
include/require replacing the CIS with something better/more advanced?  What
cars can be used as donors?  Does it open up my options regarding what
turbos I can use?

My 'roc isn't show quality, and I don't intend to make it so, but I would
like a little more power to back up its inherent "sporty" look without
spending a ton of cash or doing anything too involved.  This means I'm not
interested in dropping in a 16V (I like the simplicity of the 8V, as well as
the cheap parts).  I know there are several people on the list playing with
16V turbos, but can anyone recommend web-based resources for info on 8V
turbos?

Sorry about the length of my post, but these are some wonderings that I've
been accumulating since I began toying with the idea of Scirocco ownership.
TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating