SV: 8V turbos and related newbie questions

Hi

> All this talk of the Garrett turbo has me thinking about turbos.  When I got
> my 'rocco, I passed on a turbo mk1 for $1500 (my car was $200, and at the
> time it seemed like a better deal).  I didn't go to look at it, but my parts
> guy told me the guy just wasn't ever able to get it to run quite right.

All times tuning a car it's cheaper too buy a "finished" working or half working speci, cost will build up as time goes. And even if you buy a finished car you will change things so they suit you but it's less cost.

Most problems with home build turbo system is people are using stock fuel system and trying to squeese out more power than it can handle.

> What's involved in putting a turbo on an 8V?  Do I have to go with a
> crossflow conversion, or can I keep the engine basically stock?  Assuming
> that I can keep my head, where does the turbo fit?  It seems you could fit a
> small one in right behind the engine, but it seems the plumbing would be a
> pain.  What intake could I use?  How is the plumbing done with regard to the
> fuel distributor?

Depends on how much money you can spend and how good results you want. You get what you pay for, altough doing work yourself can spend time.

It's no problem to use the motor as it is, easiest way is taking the turbodiesel manifold and mate the turbo to it, use your existing intake manifold. To make this work you need to grind away minor parts from both manifolds and leave one of the intake bolts. Plumbing isn't so hard, it's lot's of space in our cars.

This way the turbo is resting just below the intake manifold, easily accessed from the sides, and it's lots of room for the driveshaft and routing an exhaust. You can fit an large enough turbo there, if it's to big it's no good.

>Does it open up my options regarding what
> turbos I can use?

Use a turbo from a very new car, not older than four years. Size of the turbo makes the behaviour of the car. A Garret gt17 makes excellent takes off no matter what gear you have but runs out of breath higher in the rpms, a mitsibusi td04 is not bad at low rpms but goes strong all way.

> My 'roc isn't show quality, and I don't intend to make it so, but I would
> like a little more power to back up its inherent "sporty" look without
> spending a ton of cash or doing anything too involved.  This means I'm not
> interested in dropping in a 16V (I like the simplicity of the 8V, as well as
> the cheap parts).  I know there are several people on the list playing with
> 16V turbos, but can anyone recommend web-based resources for info on 8V
> turbos?

Biggest gain of 8V, half as many things can go wrong and when they do it's half price too replace.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,8T -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker