1.8 engine noises

Ok,....gentlemen and ladies,...I just had the wierdest thing happen.  My friend has an 86 scirocco he bought that has the Digifant II fuel system and the 1.8 motor in it out of an '89 jetta.  Anyway,...he and I changed the valve cover gasket on it today.  Under the valve cover was the black plastic "splash sheild."  Hopefully you know what I am talking about.  Anyhow,...we get the new gasket on and tighten everything down.  Start up the motor and you hear this "scratching/ ratttling" sound.  We can't figure it out.  But it sounds like it is coming from the valve cover.  So we take the cover back off and look.  Nothing seems out of place.  So I grab that "splash sheild" and shake it a little to sort of "simulate" motor vibration.  Bingo!   This is the sound we are hearing.  But here is the question.  That shield has holes in it  to allow it to sit on the bolts that the cam shaft lobes bolt to,.....but the fit of that shield isn't tight, therefore allowing it to vibrate and make this "rattle".  Is this shield suppose to have rubber o-rings in those holes to produce a tighter fit.....illiminating this rattle?  We started to do this and then thought,..."what if these o-rings break-down because of oil contact and then get into the oil system/motor?"  So we stopped where we were and decided to ask you all.  I just don't understand why it is doing it now and not before?  Please,....send me some thoughts.
thanks,.
chris