Grinding shifts

I had a few minutes to work on the 'rocco today, so I figured out which
relay sends power to the cold start injector, inserted a jumper, and for the
first time since I've had it, started the car w/o ether!

I checked compression (got a new gauge yesterday to replace the one that
walked off), and I got 155-152-153-158.  However, the plugs were black, so I
leaned out the mixture a bit.  Incidentally, that took care of my horrendous
hesitation that I had.  Funny how that works...

Now my problem - I can quietly engage first gear, but when I start shifting
up through the gears, it grinds on the way into second and third.  I didn't
get onto an open-enough road to see what would happen with fourth and
fifth - I'm not plated or insured yet, so I just went around the block
carefully.

The potsmoking hillbilly claimed that he replaced the clutch while he had
the car.  The clock is at roughly 125k, so it could be about time, but he
could also have been giving me a load of crap.  However, it doesn't slip
when I take off from a start, so I think the clutch is okay for now.

Any ideas about what's making the tranny grind like that?  Shifter
adjustment?  Dead or dying tranny?  I recently replaced the bushings and
adjusted the linkage (yes, I turned the splines, but I had to do that
because it was whacked and I kept hitting reverse instead of first).  I was
getting the grinding before that too, but the car wasn't nearly as
driveable, so I didn't really pay much attention to the specifics at that
time.

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!