VSS, speed sensor

I am thinking about biulding a lap-top PC interface for my Scirocco.  My
question is this: what signal does the VSS / Mi counter send to the cruise
control computer?  Is it on-off, resistance, voltage, what?  Also, does the
counter box on a non-cruise car have provisions for cruise built in?  they
look the same on the outside.
If I do this, I am going to need the rolling radius of a 175-70-13 Tire,
anyone?
I think that an onboard speed timer/sensor would be damn slick, anyone ever
try this before?

Thanks
Ben 84 8v

Oh yeah, Rocco sighting!  Is the dude who has the 16v w/2.0L in the latest
Euro Car a list member?