Question re.Sensor Plate Pivot Arm

Hey guys!
I'm in the middle of tearing down the 81S for the 16V conversion
and got to playing around with the air box. The Bently doesn't say much about
this beast (no pics either for the anal) , but I was 'speermintn with the
SPPA and an extra I had laying around. (Maybe I should stick to farming).
I believe the plate is 'spose to move freely up and down,
but I noticed that the pivot arm had a little resistance upward (flip over
and
push down). After I monkey'd with it (tech term), it no longer had any
resistance.
Did I f*#k it up or just loosen a little dirt, oil & grime?
Thanks for the input (or flames)
Rob / Cincinnati
"Student of the "roc"