Re: transmission adjustment.

I think you're thinking too hard  :)

There is a splined adjustment on the shifting rod that goes from the shifter
towards the front of the car, ending near the steering rack.  Loosen the
clamp bolt (13mm wrench I believe) and turn *one* spline.  Make sure you
figure out which way you want to turn it.  Also, only go one spline at a
time, it makes a big difference.  If you go too far you won't be able to get
into reverse.

Hope this helps - oh yeah, check your bushings while you're under there,
it's possible that new bushings would solve the problem with no adjustment
necessary.

John

lots of stuff
http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm