FW: Hot Start

Chris,

        I think you're referring to the trick that I used on my Scout which
had a
serious hot-start problem due to a heat soaked solenoid.  I don't know if it
will work on the 'Roc, but I haven't spent anytime thinking about it.
Anyway, on the Scout, the starter and solenoid are integrated (pretty much
like the 'Roc, yes?).  Go to Napa/Pep Boys/Kragen/etc. and get a Ford remote
solenoid for about $25 (I have the part number at home if you want it).
Mount it to the firewall.  Remove all of the wires on the inbound side of
the stock solenoid at the starter and connect them to the inbound side of
the remote solenoid you just mounted on the firewall.  Get some new battery
cables when you're at Napa/Pep Boys/Kragen/etc., one that's long enough to
reach from the battery to the remote solenoid and a second one that can
reach from the remote solenoid to the current inbound side of the stock
solenoid.  Connect those wires as I just indicated.  Finally, create a
jumper wire between the two posts on the stock solenoid at the starter.  End
of heat soaked solenoid problems.

        Now that I've gone through this, isn't the hot-start problem on
Sciroccos
usually tied to the fuel pressure/accumulator thing (sorry for the technical
term, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me).

-Brad
'86.5 Scirocco 16V
'76 International Scout II
'86 Yamaha Radian (RIP)