Re: [16v] valve cover gasket / more water leaks

Valve cover gasket:

I think that you can probably reuse your valve cover gasket.  It hasn't been
on long enough to become hardened, so you should be able to reseat the
center part and put everything back together again.  I feel your pain!
There are so many things to reconnect when doing this job that one little
thing can get messed up and you have to start all over.

Water leak:

Have you checked the rubber boots in the firewall that surround the wire
harness?  One of those boots could be cracked or improperly seated.  Then
the water would run down the wiring harness and drip somewhere under the
dash.  If you find a hole in the boots, some silicone should take care of
it.

I used to have a leak in my '88 between the glass and the seal at the top of
the windshield.  It was a very strange leak because water would get inside
only when I was driving.  It was pretty annoying and I kept a towel under
the dash so I could wipe the seal.  If I ignored the water gathering on the
seal, water would drip on my knee!  I ran a bead of silicone between the
glass and seal and I have not had a leak there again.  (Knock, knock!!)

GL!
Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition