Re: Transmission swap question

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > tessjobe wrote:
> >
> > Ok so this is probably a dumb one but here goes.
> >
> > If I am going to swap a 4 speed for a 5 speed. Is
> it a straight swap
> > if both transmissions are complete with all
> linkages?
> > Does anything need to be done at the shifter
> itself? I did this many
> > years back on  an early Rabbit and forgot how I
> did it. If I remember
> > correctly the only thing I needed off of the
> 4speed was the shift
> > rods. Is this correct, hate to start the project
> and find out in the
> > middle that I'm missing parts. Thank you in
> advance for assistance.
> >
> > Paul
> > 79 Scirocco
>
> Did this on a 78;
>
> Most all the linkage rods are the same, one is a bit
> longer.
> The small 'half-dumbell' shaped part with the rubber
> end on the bottom
> is a bit different.
> Note- The longest of the rods has one end that is
> Not 90 degrees, study
> as you take it apart.
>

> You'll prob. want to align the whole linkage thing
> after the bolts are
> all in, check your Bentley for the plate under the
> shift boot and the
> reverse lock out gate clearances.
>
> hth,
> TBerk
> BTW- It's a good time to replace them there seals,
> eh?

You might want to get the shifter from a five speed as
well. I know one lister that could not get it to shift
right until he replaced the 4spd shifter with a 5spd.

I'll be doing this one myself soon on Kristen's 78
Scirocco.

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)