Re: Transmission swap question

I did this swap (4->5) on my 1980 Rabbit.  I was unable to get
satisfactory shifting until I replaced (in addition to the under-hood
components) the rod which runs from the shifter lever to the engine
compartment and the "box" which houses the shift linkage and serves as the
stop for reverse etc.  These parts were identified after research on the
microfiche as also being different from 4 to 5 speed models.  I did not
have to replace the lever itself, though.

The other difference comes when adjusting the linkage - on 4speed models a
19mm gap is used between the shift lever's finger and the reverse lockout
plate, and on 5 speed models it is a 15mm gap - this difference is
outlined in any Bentley that includes 4 speed transmissions... :)

Drew

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Mark Peele wrote:

> --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > > tessjobe wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok so this is probably a dumb one but here goes.
> > >
> > > If I am going to swap a 4 speed for a 5 speed. Is
> > it a straight swap
> > > if both transmissions are complete with all
> > linkages?
> > > Does anything need to be done at the shifter
> > itself? I did this many
> > > years back on  an early Rabbit and forgot how I
> > did it. If I remember
> > > correctly the only thing I needed off of the
> > 4speed was the shift
> > > rods. Is this correct, hate to start the project
> > and find out in the
> > > middle that I'm missing parts. Thank you in
> > advance for assistance.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > > 79 Scirocco
> >
> > Did this on a 78;
> >
> > Most all the linkage rods are the same, one is a bit
> > longer.
> > The small 'half-dumbell' shaped part with the rubber
> > end on the bottom
> > is a bit different.
> > Note- The longest of the rods has one end that is
> > Not 90 degrees, study
> > as you take it apart.
> >

> > You'll prob. want to align the whole linkage thing
> > after the bolts are
> > all in, check your Bentley for the plate under the
> > shift boot and the
> > reverse lock out gate clearances.
> >
> > hth,
> > TBerk
> > BTW- It's a good time to replace them there seals,
> > eh?
>
> You might want to get the shifter from a five speed as
> well. I know one lister that could not get it to shift
> right until he replaced the 4spd shifter with a 5spd.
>
> I'll be doing this one myself soon on Kristen's 78
> Scirocco.
>

> =====
> Mark Peele
> 1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
> http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
> Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
> Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
> or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)
> or http://www.newdimensions.com/ (TurboTim)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca