Transmission swap question

Ok so this is probably a dumb one but here goes.

If I am going to swap a 4 speed for a 5 speed. Is it a straight swap if both transmissions are complete with all linkages?
Does anything need to be done at the shifter itself? I did this many years back on  an early Rabbit and forgot how I did it. If I remember correctly the only thing I needed off of the 4speed was the shift rods. Is this correct, hate to start the project and find out in the middle that I'm missing parts. Thank you in advance for assistance.

Paul
79 Scirocco