Re: [audio] amplifier help wanted

"Foxx (in a box)" wrote:

>   i installed a set of boston acoustic cx7e's in my car last year.
<snip>
> freq. response - 70-20,000 Hz ± 4 dB
> continuous - 20 watts
> peak - 40 watts
> impedence - 4 ohms
> sensitivity - 1 watt = 96 dB @ 0.5m

Foxx,

The key number here is the 20 watts (RMS), the 40 W is only a peak
figure, you can't run them at this value for very long without
distortion and/or damage. (I think you will find a greater capacity if
you don't send the entire frequency range to them, see below.)

That said add up all your speakers load in wattage consumption and add a
bit for 'the pot' and you should see that a 100 watts per pair ought to
do it. Boston's web site says; "Recommended Amplifier Power - 12-80
watts"

The other thing to think about is that no one speaker cam cover the
musical range perfectly. An idea might be to split the load off these
smaller speakers and send the job of reproducing the low end to a
dedicated sub. A Bazooka tube might be a good idea.

By amplifying only a given range you get better sound, less distortion
and greater fidelity.

BTW- I could go on and on, contact me directly if you want more
pontificating.
BTW II- Good use of header in subject line. Some of the Gear heads are
bored to tears by this line of discussion.

TBerk
Can you tell I'm bored being home?