Re: Shaved Cylinder Head?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:12:06 -0800 "StephyGee" <stephygee@prodigy.net>
writes:

>Anyone ever "shaved" a 16v cylinder head or know someone who has?

Sure.

>Now...to piggy back that question, shaving a head is only to increase
>compression, right?

Depending on how much you remove can change the amount of CR increase.
Most people shave the head to correct a warped head or to remove any
flaws which would accelerate a head gasket failure. Either way, if you
remove the head, its a good idea to mill the head.

>And if one increases the compression, how does this
>affect fuel distribution?

It should'nt affect fuel distribution. (not sure I fully understand the
question.) If the fuel system is working properly, all 4 cylinders should
get the same amount of fuel. (in practical theory anyway.) The added
compression might increase the amount of fuel going to the cylinders but
how much is hard to say. it just depends on how much mill work is done.

>I know...the TT fuel enrichment module is on
>my "to get" list...but I was just wondering, even with the ability to
>"tweak" fuel distribution, just what are the measurable gains (or
>losses?) to be had with a shaved 16v head?

I do know that shaving .40 off of an 8V head is worth @ .7 increase in
CR. Since the 16V has the combustion chamber solely in the head, it seems
to me that the increase could be more? I don't have the figures in front
of me to say for sure. Either way its worth a couple ponies. Shaving the
head is just one small part of getting the most out of any motor. Mild
Porting with some other work gains more. Costs more too but..............

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and