Re: Pop goes the Nut

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:13:13 EST Captnbr@aol.com writes:
<snip>> and you know the rear tranny mount, how the metal plate attaches
> the under side of the car with two nuts?  Well one of these fu#$ers is
now
> gone and the threads on the stud are striped off. Weird huh. Am I now
completely fu#%ed.
> How shall I remedy this situation. Thanks everyone
>

> Brian 86 16v
> http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html

That stud can be replaced.
The difficult part is removing the old one.
You can drill it out, be careful not to elongate the mounting hole, if
that happens you would be forced to use a bolt in place of a replacement
stud.
You can get access to the rear mount from inside the car, it is right by
the angled part of the floor where it meets the firewall, it is doubled
up there.
I'd have to check it, but I believe there is an access hole under the
painted tar strip.
This is where you extract the old stud and where the replacement stud or
bolt goes.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>