Greetings all, I should introduce myself...( long, little sciroccocontent)

Greetings fellow VW freaks!
    My name is David Utley, and I reside in ever-so-ugly Killeen, TX.  Home
of FT. Hood, the biggest US Army installation in the world (this is the only
thing that this town could be famous/infamous for).  Anyways. my wife is in
the Army, so we are presently stuck here.  When she gets out, we have been
considering Seattle, WA for our next home.  How many of you out there, in WA?
 I presently work at O'Reilly Auto Parts, a pretty good company in this field
if I do say so, although like any mega-corp, it has it's problems.
    To my VW habit:  I began at twenty-one, with the 84 GTi I still have.  It
shows it's wear, believe me, but it still runs great.  I also have a '77
Westfalia, that presently needs a little work.  I put a Mark Stephens engine
in it, and it, like the company, has never held up to expectations.  ;-)
It's a good van, Olive Green Drab, California originally.  My wife drives an
'88 Cabriolet, which I am presently sinking a lot of money into.  New
suspension, motor mounts, power steering, etc.  Anyone with an upper bar for
sale that will fit that, please contact me.  Anyways, we paid too much for
that one, although the van was only a $1000.  Win some, lose some.
    I have had a parts biz in the past, very small, and very gone now.
Orignal Equipment Marketers (OEM).  I intend to begin that again, and serve
those that I can, as well as get those groovy discounts with New Dimensions
and Velocity and the like.  :-)  Anyone with needs for used parts, contact me
and I will do some scrounging.
    With that in mind, I do have a GX longblock.  Would anyone like to own
it?  I was considering building it for a killer 8V 2.0, but discovered it is
the low-compression engine too late.  All offers considered.  Also, this
should be good for a chuckle.  I have a brand new, in the box with the
instructions, Weber big throttle body kit.  Anyone interested in that?  I got
that one free, so any offers there will really be considered hard.  8-0
    To those that tried to help diagnose my driving problems with the HT
engine I have in the GTi (10-1 compression, knock ignition, etc).  I hate to
admit it, but yes, the cam is advanced.  I felt really stupid after about
four or five responses stating that was there diagnosis.  Oh well.  That was
the first head gasket job I had done, so I guess I should expect some
mistakes.  Also, the first time I had removed the timing belt.  Thank all
that responded to my problem.

    With that, I have a few more questions.  I have a AUG code tranny I am
going to rebuild and put in the GTi, but it has the 100mm axle flanges.  How
do I mount/modify this tranny so that I can use it?  I assume that I need to
find some donor flanges and just swap them, but I have also heard that the
90mm flanges interfere with the 80% lock up kit from Velocity.  I want to use
this kit, so what should I do?  Any help here is greatly apprecaited.

    Also, I want to build a 2.0L 8V like I mentioned earlier.  BTW, has
anyone seen the 8V turbo site?  Very interesting.  Does anyone on the list
have this kit on their car?  I would like to hear about the driveablity of
this kit.  But I digress:  From what I understand, the 2.0 has a different
set of pistons than the 1.8, right?  Is the crank the same?  What do I need
to do, find a 2.0 shortblock from like a 94 Jetta or something close?  This
would seem to be the cheapest route, but I do not know.  I intend to mount a
1.8 air-shrouded head from the CIS-E injection on top of it.  Are there any
intereference problems or specific blocks I need to find to work here?  Also,
anyone who has the parts I need, please p-mail me with details.  Maybe I can
trade you that Weber T/B and GX engine.  8-)

    Well, that's me, my world, and my needs in a nutshell.  Any info or help
with any or all of this is appreciated.  I really enjoy this list, and I can
tell that I am going to get a lot of very useful real-world help here.  It is
very cool to have a forum like this where fellow VW Volks can ask questions
and share experiences.  I look forward to every digest.  Speaking of that,
does anyone else think the amount of posts in the digest are too lengthy?  I
mean, does it seem to anyone else that it would be easier to read if there
were fewer posts to each digest?  P-mail me if you wish, or comment here on
the list.  I really want to do all I can to help this good thing keep going.

Thanks for listening to all of my rambling....................

David

84 GTi
88 Cabriolet (hers)
77 Westy (ours)