Re: Ahhh, cylinder-head gasket???

>I just changed the oil and noticed a yellowish deposit on and around the
>oil cap. The oil itself was normal, though. Could this mean that my
>cylinder head gasket is crappy or something?

Possibly but not necessarily. If you drive short trips (under 10 mi.) the
moisture inside the engine doesnt have enough time to evaporate and
therefore condenses at the top of the engine in the valve cover area.

This goes together with a
>lot of smoke coming from the exhaust, right?

Sometimes

Also can very crappy idling
>be the result of slightly overfilled oil?

Yes. And check your air filter. It could be full of oil too.

HTH

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco