Re: fuel economy theory

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Ian Overholt wrote:

> How about this theory?  Your mixture was adjusted on the rich side to
> compensate for the vacuum leak.  Now that you've plugged the vacuum leak,
> you are running too rich and are getting poor mileage.  Do you see a lot of
> carbon on the back of your car?  Blackish smoke?  I would just take the car
> to a mechanic who can adjust the mixture while checking the CO.  If you
> continue to run too rich, your cat will not last very long.

It doesn't appear that the mixture was adjusted, at least via the mixture
adjustment screw in the fuel distributor (the plug in the distributor
above the screw doesn't appear to have been removed). I could believe the
mixture is out, so right now it's just figuring out why. Unless a previous
owner got this done professionally, based on their particular method of
car care, I'd expect the mixture adjustment screw at the air flow sensor
to be whatever it was when set at the factory (because I *don't* think
they got it done professionally, and probably not even with a manual).
Anyway, it's pretty easy to test the emission control system so I'll look
at that first... Thanks though, if all else fails it'll definitely go to
the shop; I have quite awhile before I have to get emission tested...

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html