Re: tearing down my 75 Scirocco

At 11:38 AM 02/16/2000 -0500, Robinson Family wrote:
>$50/hr?
>IM doing it...
>I have an arc welder and everything
>quick question though
>once I finish sealing all the holes and everything...
>whats the best way to strip paint?

There are a few ways, and it depends on how much work or money you want to
spend on it.  You can use aircraft cleaner which will eat the paint.  You
will still have to scrape a bit and then clean off the residue-nasty stuff,
but it works.  If you have a compressor, you can buy a sandblaster(not very
expensive) and blast it off with a fine media for removing paint.  And
lastly there is  some sort of service you can have done, similiar to
sandblasting, that I saw on a car restoration show this past weekend.  they
use recycled plastic, in shaving or bead form, to blast the car's paint off
like a sandblaster, but the tool was a bit different.  I've never seen
these guns, but maybe a restoration shop near you may offer the service.
Good luck.

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4