Re: NEW update Oil leak

>Chris DeLong wrote:
>
> > This is your oil pressure switch. It is very common for this leak to
>happen.
> > They are pretty cheap (about 6$ ea). And yes it will cause you to lose
>very
> > large quantities of oil in a very short period of time. HTH
> >

> > >OK Guys this list is so great, helping me out with suggestions keep
>them
> > >coming.
> > >
> > >Here is another curve ball for ya.  In searching for the oil leak I
>come
> > >across one of the sensors on the oil cooler I squeeze the rubber boot
>and
> > >squish, all this oil spurts out. Start engine, warm up check leak and
>it
> > >actually seems like there is oil coming from this sensor???????  Can
>this
> > >happen??? Can this sensor cause me to loose a quart of oil in 4 days?
>Hmmm.
> > >Anyone with this experience?  Thanks again.
>
>where is the oil pressure switch located and how is it replaced ?

On 8v cars there is one on the back end of the head and one on the oil
filter mounting flange. They are secured by the 24mm base which is the
bottom of the switch.

On 16V cars both are located on the oil filter mounting flange. Same size
wrench.

On '82 (?) and earlier cars they usually only have one on the head or the
oil filter mounting flange.

>Would falling compression (idle...) mean falling oil pressure....and
>finally
>engine cut off ??

Not if the engine is quiet and starts up again right away. Does your oil
light work?

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco